If you or your family need health insurance for 2022, you can sign up on HealthCare.Gov from November 1, 2021 to January 15, 2022. In order to have coverage that begins on January 1st, you must enroll by December 15th.
HealthCare.Gov coverage is more affordable than ever before. Congress’ American Rescue Plan boosted financial help, which made enrolling in HealthCare.Gov coverage much cheaper. Even if you were priced out in the past, you should look again. Plans are now more affordable, and financial help is now available to more people than in the past. For example:
- 4 out of 5 consumers can find a plan for $10/month or less;
- Millions of people now qualify for $0/month plans with a low or no deductible; and
- 9 in 10 Texans who’ve signed up got reduced-price plans.
Insurance plans on HealthCare.Gov must include key benefits like mental health care, maternity care, prescription drug coverage, hospitalization services, and coverage for pre-existing conditions. Plans outside HealthCare.Gov do not have to offer the same protections or financial help.
Community organizations are standing by to offer free, expert help with the sign-up process across Texas:
- HealthCare.Gov has a tool to Find Local Help from certified enrollment assisters at local community-based organizations who can help you sign up for coverage through HealthCare.Gov, Medicaid, and CHIP. (To filter search results for community-based groups, click on the “Agent or Broker” box under “Filter,” so that only the “Assisters” box is showing).
- The Get Covered Connector lets you search for enrollment assistance locations statewide by zip code. Bonus: in the Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and Corpus Christi areas, you can also book an appointment for assistance.
Even if you just enrolled in mid-2021 when the Marketplace reopened for 6 months, you need to shop again now for a 2022 plan. Consumers who compare their options during Open Enrollment can save more money. It pays to shop each year.
There are many more plan options for 2022 in the Texas Marketplace. Plans from five new health insurers are available this year.
“Window shopping” is available now to preview 2022 plans, and enrollment starts on Monday, November 1st!